Thursday, October 23, 2008

Half-Marathon Completed!!!

I can finally say I have completed my first half-marathon ever!! This however comes with many lessons I have learned and still have to learn. Over the past five months I have been training with a very close friend of mine. We have had our set backs but in the end it never got in the way of finishing! I would have to say we came a long ways starting out not even being able to run a mile and now finishing 13.1 miles! WOW just looking at that I myself am impressed.

However the week before the race I had became ill and not knowing how I would even be able to cross the finish line. I trusted in God that he would give me the strength and heal me enough to be able to complete. Now going into the race I set aside all of my goals because at this point all I wanted to do was to cross the finish line with Jesus by my side. The race started out great and I was surprised by how well and fast I was running. It was an amazing atmosphere and the cheering crowd boosted my will power. I complete the 1st of 13 miles in just over 10 minutes. I couldn't believe it. That was an amazing pace and if I could keep that up it would be truly amazing. At this time I think I started to set goals that I couldn't keep. Wanting to push God's power and help me complete something that was impossible for what I had trained for. However I kept going and pushing my self around. By the time I reached mile 5 I was on cloud nine. Still running at an 11 minute pace and it didn't seem like I was going to get weak. The only thing was that I was now leaving the crowds of people and the thoughts of not even being half done was entering my mind. I didn't want this to get in the way so I started thinking about a topic a good friend suggested. The topic of happiness and joy! This topic became a part of my mind and helped me get past the next five miles. However my mile 10 my body was starting to shut down. I started filling a intense pain in my foot! It hurt so bad and I prayed to God to take away the pain but it didn't go away. I kept trying to overcome the pain but it was just something I couldn't. I had pushed my mind, body, and soul as far as I could. It was now time to say ok I need to walk. For the next couple of miles I pushed through the pain and walked my way up and down the hills. It was something that was harder then running the first ten miles. By the end of the race I was joined by a friend who pushed me to finish strong. I know it was something that I had to do. As I made my last turn my eyes were full of tears and my teeth were biting away the pain. I took the last little bit of energy I had and ran! Across the finish line I went and I was now a half-marathon finisher.

When people have been asking about the race I try not to answer because I am not proud of how I did. But looking back I should be proud of the pain and miles I went through to be at the finish line. The months and miles I trained and all the 5 a.m. runs. This experience has been an experience I'll never forget and I know that it wouldn't of been possible if it wasn't for my Savior Jesus Christ who pushed me along.

No comments: